Sunday, September 16, 2012

The House On The Corner

The House on the Corner is a story about a young boy who travels to his uncle's house (on the corner) and is whisked away from danger and into a life of confusion and secrets. This book by Michael Rains was written for youth, and the story has great potential, however I was sorely dissappointed with the writing. When I was reading the book I felt like the writing was sub-par.
The book contained many sections that where the writing was redundant and elementary. The story was told from a young boys point of view so I understand wanting to simplify thoughts, vocabulary, etc. However I do not think quality discription needs to be forgone because of this simplification.
The story was also difficult to follow, and I felt very confused through the whole story. Pieces of the story, such as a corrupt government, hiding from the police, and being on the run from danger have potential of making a great story, however I think vital details were not given, and the story became confusing. I found myself completing this book for the sake of reviewing it, and not for the story itself.
Although the book contained many threads that would make an interesting story, the writing did not develop the story in a way that kept it interesting and understandable. Overall this book had great potential, but poor application.

No comments:

Post a Comment