Thursday, January 31, 2013

Through Rushing Waters

"Through Rushing Water" was a great book! I thought the storyline was relatively novel, and the details of the characters and experiences throughout the book were well written. I enjoyed CatherineRichmond's  writing style.
Critiques: I felt that book began a little slowly. It started by describing Sophia and her life in the girls school she was working at. This information is important, but I didn't care for the romance/broken-heart beginning. However Richmond ties this story line back in at the end. Throughout the story there were several times that I was confused about what characters the author was referring to. Richmond often used nicknames or shortened versions of names without explaining whom they belonged to, combine that with having many Indian names throughout the book and occasionally the names got confusing, She also brought characters from the beginning in again at the end of the story (clever) but by the time I got to them I had forgotten them.
Praises: I enjoyed the character development of Sophia as she grew in her faith and also in her love for the impoverished. I thought Richmond expressed very well the struggles Sophia had and how she grew from them. I also liked the character of Sophia, who was the strong-willed and independent main character. Will was also an enjoyable character, who was written in such a way that made him easy to connect with and easy to love. The other characters throughout the story gave contrast and color to the book. I was also surprised to find that I enjoyed the story line. I am not too much of a romance reader, but this book combined romance with love of the destitute and a struggle for justice with romance, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I would give this book a 4 out of 5 (I would give it a 4.5 but that isn't on the scale!) it was such an enjoyable story and I would encourage any woman (or man, but they don't typically read romance) to pick it up and fall in love with the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment