Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Confessions of April Grace: Chocolate Covered Baloney

K.D. McCrite writes a wonderful story of a 12 year old girl from Arkansas and all of the experiences she has. April Grace (the twelve year old girl) is faced with many problems that youth face today, but the story is set in the 1980's. April Grace's biggest struggle is with change. Over the past few months her life has changed tremendously. In the opening chapter she lists off a few things that have changed including her grandmother, a new baby brother and her mother being sick. As the story continues we see how April Grace deals with the change that has already occured and how she is getting used to it, and we also see how she handles change that is continuing to occur. Throughout the story there is typical sibling interaction, family stress and struggle as well as the conveying of delightful family interactions.
This story rings true to my experience as a young girl and reminds me of stories I read when I was young, like Judy Bloome (one of my favorites). I enjoyed  reading the story and remembering what my childhood was like, including the sibling rivalries. I felt like this book was an honest portrayl of many things that youth today face, and it was a very enjoyable read. I would rate this book 4 out of 5, remembering that the story is geared for youth and kids. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment